P.O.P. (Preserve our Planet) Campaign
As concerns about global warming continue to rise, we all must consider what we as individuals can do to help. ESW at UCSD strongly believes that raising awareness is the most effective way to develop a society of environmentally-conscious thinkers. Since November 2011, ESW has been running its 1st annual POP! (Preserve our Planet) Campaign, focused on raising awareness about ways each individual can help reduce the effects of global warming. Our ultimate goal is to inspire today’s youth to become more environmentally-conscious, in hopes for a greener tomorrow. Our year-long commitment of activities is described below:
Hydration Fountain Competition
Partially sponsored by the San Diego Water District
- Participants between the ages of 10-18 will be encouraged to design the decorations on UCSD’s new hydration fountains incorporating messages to remind fountain users about conserving the earth's resources, especially focusing on conserving water and recycling.
- Hydration Station will be implemented by UCSD students, including ESW members and other students - bringing different communities together!
Building Hydration Drinking Fountain Designs
Sponsored by UC San Diego’s Student Sustainability Collective
- The top winners of the Hydration Station Competition will have their designs implemented by ESW members on fountains dispersed throughout the UC San Diego campus
Student Sustainability Outreach Day at UC San Diego
- Held on April 13th, in collaboration with the group Multicultural Coexistence.
- Scheduled activities, appropriately catered to the two different age groups, will inspire and demonstrate how to implement “green” practices in our everyday lives.
- Scavenger hunt activities will be a mixture of hands-on projects and workshops focusing on environmental and social sustainability. These will include gardening at the Neighborhood Community Garden, a tasting of sustainable foods with PEACE, and workshops with the Cross Cultural Center. We will also provide a short workshop with the participants on how to apply for college with SPACES
- The outreach day will finish up with a panel of activists from UCSD campus who will share their experiences with sustainability and answer any questions from the participants after a full day of learning what sustainability really means
Please support us to inspire the youth of San Diego to take action by sponsoring ESW’s 1st annual POP! Campaign. As active citizens, we cannot afford to lose any more time. We must take action immediately to help reduce the effects of global warming that is devastating our beautiful planet. Your support and resources will help us get closer to achieving that goal. Get involved today.
Check out an article reporting P.O.P Campaign here!
Questions? Please contact coordinators Shira Zingman-Daniels at firstname.lastname@example.org